Wolfpack football grad rate falls to 30 percent

Of the 23 football freshmen who entered N.C. State in 1995, merely seven received degrees. This 30 percent graduation rate was the third-worst for an N.C. State football class in the last decade.

Art Cooper, former N.C. State faculty athletic representative, told The Associated Press that this figure, similar to 1992's 27 percent graduation rate, was an aberration.

By comparison, the Virginia football program graduated 71.4 percent of its 1994 freshman class. Virginia has graduated 70 percent or more of its football classes for 17 years in a row.

Basketball rookies honored

The ACC named Halston Lane of Georgia Tech and Alana Beard of Duke as its men's and women's basketball Rookies of the Week on Monday.

Lane chipped in 15 points in Georgia Tech's 62-56 upset over then-No. 6 Virginia on Sunday. Lane, a 6-foot-4 guard from Oak Ridge, Tenn., made 6 of 10 shots against the Cavaliers, including a crucial three-pointer with 1 minute, 16 seconds left in the contest.

Last week, Lane averaged 9 points and 2.5 rebounds. He shot 50 percent (7-for-14) from the field in wins over Maryland and Virginia.

Beard scored 19 points, pulled down four rebounds, tallied four assists and had three steals in the Blue Devils' loss to Florida State. It was the 15th time this season Beard scored in double figures.

The Frierson, La., native was playing in her first game back since being sidelined by a dislocated thumb Jan. 18.

Friel in cyberspace

Virginia senior guard Keith Friel answered questions about Virginia's upcoming showdown with Duke in an online chat on ESPN.com yesterday.

Friel pointed out that Virginia will have to "pressure the ball more" against Duke's star players, Jason Williams and Shane Battier.

He also responded to fans' questions about Virginia's ACC road losses to N.C. State and Georgia Tech last week.

"On the road we haven't been mentally prepared as individuals," Friel said. "We play different and our shooting has been bad on the road."

Friel also spoke about the team's rapport.

"We hang as a team a lot," he said. "Our team chemistry is really good"