Counting your historical blessings

Happy belated Thanksgiving, loyal column readers! I hope your week-long break treated you spectacularly well and that life is treating you equally as well back in C-ville.

Actually, I have no idea if I have any loyal readers. My suspicion is that most of my readers are of the skimming-the-CD-while-eating-ice-milk-in-the-dining-hall variety. If that's you, no problem. Just nod and pretend like you're a loyal reader.

Well done.

So, now that Thanksgiving is over, the holiday season is in full swing -- meaning insane lines at stores, Lighting of the Lawn, and the "Charlie Brown Christmas" album playing on repeat in my dorm room from now until the time I go home. But before turning toward December and the excitement of the end of the semester, I'd like to pay homage to Thanksgiving just one last time.

It's come to my attention that one of the things people do around Thanksgiving time is make lists of things they are thankful for. For example, I'm thankful that the weather isn't always like it was on Monday, or else I might go into hibernation and never come out of my dorm room.

Seriously. Someone send a memo to the Weather Channel or something. That was abysmal.

But of course this is an historical column, and you, loyal reader (just keep nodding), are looking for delightful tidbits of historical goodness to go with your ice milk. I have just the thing.

Presenting my post-Thanksgiving, all-time greatest list of things to be historically thankful for this holiday season at U.Va.: