University prepares for final game of season

Tomorrow's football game against Virginia Tech is expected to draw a crowd of approximately 62,000 fans, according to Leonard Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer.

"It is likely to be an all-time capacity crowd," Sandridge said.

As the last home game of the season and one for which students have been camping out since Tuesday, security is a top concern.

"Knowing that this is a big game and that this is the last home game of the season, there will be a great deal of security at the game," University spokesperson Carol Wood said. "The safety of our students and our alumni and all the fans is a priority to the University."

Sandridge said common sense is most important in ensuring the safety of game attendees. In light of the Florida State game, Sandridge said there is concern that fans may rush the field after the game again.

"Obviously at this point we are very sensitive; we have asked our fans consistently to stay off the fields," Sandridge said. "The place to celebrate is in the stands."

Sandridge said students who are unable to handle themselves will be ejected from the game by authorities, and charges will be brought against them.

University Police Capt. Michael Coleman said students should be aware of their surroundings.

"The big thing is [students] should not be on the field," Coleman said. "It is potentially hazardous. There has been one stadium murder this year [at Minnesota]. Students need to protect their own safety."

The last home game of the season is also shadowed by the practice referred to by some as the "fourth-year fifth" in which fourth-year students are rumored to consume a fifth of alcohol within 24 hours of the game.

Susan Bruce, director of the University's Center for Alcohol and Substance Education, works with Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team in combating the practice with different events, including speaker Dr. Luoluo Hong and the Alcohol Awareness Week that is currently taking place.

"The Fourth-year Trustees have been tabling all week," Bruce said. "Trustees are giving out water bottles to students who are not participating."

The Parents' Program will fund a tailgate before the game in the Amphitheater for students, "encouraging people to get some food beforehand," Bruce said.

Bruce said the "fourth-year fifth" has been occurring since the 1980s and resulted in one student death in 1997, the weekend of the last home football game. She said the practice has been in decline in recent years.

"Last year almost half of fourth-year students didn't even drink the day of the last home football game [46.5 percent]," Bruce said. "Only 10.3 percent attempted to drink a fifth of alcohol."

Sandridge said he hopes students and fans will be responsible during the game.

"This is a wonderful weekend