University names Roberts new admissions dean

Senior Associate Admissions Dean Greg Roberts will fill post held by John Blackburn

Nine days after the passing of former University Admissions Dean John Blackburn, the University named one of Blackburn’s protégés, Senior Associate Admissions Dean Greg Roberts, to the top admissions post.

“There is perhaps no other office at this University that demands the judgment, fairness ... and ability to call shots when one needs to like admissions,” University President John T. Casteen, III, said yesterday, later noting that Roberts possesses the skill-set and determination needed to set him apart from a competitive field of candidates.

Roberts, who held admissions positions at private institutions prior to coming to the University as an associate dean in 2003, took over much of the day-to-day directing duties of the admissions office last year, during Blackburn’s prolonged bout with cancer. The combination of University experience and Roberts’ reputation both on Grounds and across the nation made him the most obvious and qualified candidate for the position, Casteen said.  

Roberts’ candidacy for admissions dean also was supported by Blackburn, Casteen said. He noted that Blackburn wrote in a letter to the admissions dean search committee that Roberts’ six years at the University have more than adequately prepared him to take on greater responsibilities.

“This position carries with it a fair amount of stress and it requires that the person in the position be able to handle the pressures and still maintain a positive attitude,” Blackburn wrote, according to a University press release. “It requires flexibility and a clear sense of University priorities. All of us know that the University of Virginia is unique among American universities, and I think understanding what is unique about it is essential if one is to be successful in this role.”

With that understanding, Roberts said he aims to continue Blackburn’s almost three-decade legacy of enhancing University diversity and access. During Blackburn’s term, the University saw an increasingly diverse first-year student class, especially in recent years, and also made an effort to increase the availability of financial aid funds via programs like AccessUVA. Now, Roberts said, the University is faced with new challenges, including a rapidly shifting economic landscape and the need to reach out to a truly global student body.

“I look forward to building on Jack’s legacy,” Roberts said, admitting that he “has big shoes to fill.”

Under Roberts’ leadership, the admissions office will continue to try to meet the needs a of a top-tier academic institution and to expand student outreach efforts and financial aid programs.

“We will look to see how we can attack these challenges,” Roberts added, noting that his office — just as it did under Blackburn’s leadership — will continue emphasizing “Jeffersonian values” like honor, dignity and respect. “We’ve really only reached the tip of the iceberg in terms of availability for low-income students and students of color.”

Fourth-year College student Chalais Massard, who served as the student member of the admissions dean search committee, said she is confident the selection of Roberts will be positive for the University.

“He has the ability to synthesize many aspects of the admissions process,” Massard said, noting Roberts’ “very good ability to process and understand information.”