A broad-based education

The University must ensure all students have access to study abroad opportunities

Last week, the University celebrated International Education Week to demonstrate the its commitment to creating global opportunities for students. The week consisted of various events including seminars, an international career panel and even a French play performed in Old Cabell Hall. The events were designed to bring attention to the diverse international opportunities available for students and also to teach students how to incorporate their previous international experiences, such as study abroad, into career opportunities for the global workplace. International Education Week was certainly beneficial for students with study abroad experiences or language skills, but should have been more accessible to all students.

The week's activities are sponsored each year by the U.S. Departments of State and Education to "celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide." IEW was also created to "promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the United States."

These things aligned with the University's 2020 plan created nine years ago to promote international activities and study abroad opportunities among students. The plan has made noticeable progress: The percentage of students who studied abroad last year was double that of the years before the 2020 plan was created - despite the recent drop in study abroad numbers from the faltering economy. Moreover, IEW highlights the University's emphasis on the importance of international interactions.

The week recognizes the