Mack leaves football program

sp-torrey_mack_fball-sm

Sophomore tailback Torrey Mack is no longer enrolled in the University and is therefore not currently a member of the football team.

A source close to the situation indicated Mack faced academic problems last semester. Jim Daves, assistant athletic director for media relations, confirmed that Mack is no longer enrolled.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said Mack had been previously placed on academic probation.

Mack had been placed on "suspension in advance" for a year, the source said. The source noted that former coach Al Groh used to allow players in Mack's situation to stay on the team and play the following year, but added that coach Mike London may have a different policy. In 2008, for example, former Virginia quarterback Jameel Sewell was not enrolled in the University. The following year, however, Sewell lined up under center as the starting quarterback for the Cavaliers.

Athletic Director Craig Littlepage said he had no information about players' academic eligibility and added that even if a player was declared ineligible he would not be able to comment on the situation. Mack could not be reached for comment.

Mack was expected to compete for a prominent role in the backfield next fall with the departure of senior running back Keith Payne, who led the Cavaliers in rushing attempts, yards and touchdowns. Sophomore running back Perry Jones finished second on the team with 680 rushing yards, followed by senior Raynard Horne.

Mack finished the 2010 season with 79 yards on 13 carries.

-compiled by Cavalier Daily staff

Published February 9, 2011 in Sports

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed