Faculty facts: LaVahn Hoh

Everyone knows Professors Sabato and Elzinga, but not many students know the name Hoh. Prof. LaVahn Hoh just happens to be one of the premier historians of the circus world, with more than 40 years' experience researching and working in the field. Having served as the archivist for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Clown College, Hoh has been featured in several productions in film and television, including several Arts and Entertainment Network productions concerning the Circus in America, Dare Devils and The Flying Wallendas. He has also been featured in publications such as People and USA Today and has co-authored a book, Step Right Up!: The Adventure of Circus in America. Despite his national fame, Hoh has never stopped caring about his local community. In 2009, Hoh received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Virginia Theatre Association. This award reflects Hoh's involvement with the VTA since 1969 and his unparalleled involvement in drama, especially at the high school and other amateur levels. Watch out for his popular course on "Circus in America" in the spring