Virginia takes national stage at Miami

Following Watford

Coming off of a disappointing loss against N.C. State last Saturday, the Virginia football team faces a stiff challenge against a hungry Miami squad tonight following a shortened week of practice. Tonight's clash marks the first time the Cavaliers (4-3, 1-2 ACC) will commit to one quarterback, sopohomore Michael Rocco.

After last week's 28-14 loss against the Wolfpack, Virginia coach Mike London announced that the Virginia offense will no longer platoon Rocco with freshman quarterback David Watford.

"Michael Rocco [is] the starting quarterback and he will be afforded the opportunity to go in the game and play and do what he needs to do," London said. "There probably won't be the rotation part of it as you've been seeing, in order to give [David] a chance to watch, but it will give Michael an opportunity to get in the game and play the game."

Rocco drew first blood last Saturday with a six-yard touchdown pass to freshman tailback Clifton Richardson, but was replaced with Watford on the ensuing drive. On his first drive, Watford threw his first of three interceptions on the day.

Entering last weekend, Rocco had thrown eight interceptions, while Watford had tossed only one. After Watford's dismal performance against the Wolfpack defense, however, London expressed concern about the young quarterback's psyche.

"It's time to make sure that this young man doesn't continue to experience the weight of the world on his shoulders ... that we try to provide opportunities for him, that 'this was a good season for you, a good learning curve for you, and you'll get better at this because you've been in games,'" London said. "I think he'll become a better player from this experience."

Despite the shake-up at the signal caller position, London does not believe that this decision will negatively affect the Cavaliers' chemistry heading into the contest against Miami (4-3, 2-2 ACC). London said Watford has "embraced his role" and that "everyone is on the same page."

On- and off-the-field chemistry will certainly benefit the Cavaliers as they embark on their first roadtrip in more than month. Moreover, tonight's game, which will take place at Sun Life Stadium, will thrust the young Virginia squad directly into the national spotlight - something that the Cavaliers have been looking forward to all season long.

"There's definitely a lot of chatter in the locker room about it," senior wide receiver Kris Burd said. "Thursday night, you're the only game on, so there's gonna be a lot of media coverage and a lot of people watching. To go out there and play in front of all your peers, it's a big thing. So we're looking forward to it. Everyone's excited about it, and it's a big game for us."

The Hurricanes, who are no stranger to national attention, enter the game coming off of a statement 24-7 win against then-No. 20 Georgia Tech and will undoubtedly be seeking redemption for the 24-19 defeat at the hands of the Cavaliers last October at Scott Stadium. Last year's upset by Virginia ultimately knocked the then-No. 22 Miami squad out of the top 25 and played a part in the Hurricanes' decision to terminate then-coach Randy Shannon.

Under new coach Al Golden, the Hurricanes currently sit in third place ahead of the Cavaliers in the conference standings and are looking to recapture the former glory of their legendary 2001 National Championship team, which will be honored at the game tonight.

Both teams recognize the importance of the matchup as the extensive media exposure from playing on national television could aid recruitment efforts. The contest also has title implications for both squads as a loss would likely serve as a critical setback in the race with conference-leading Virginia Tech for the ACC Coastal championship.

"They've won [two] games straight; they're on a nice little streak,"