Vehicle collides with bicyclist

A University student riding a bicycle and a fourth-year University student driving a Jeep Wrangler collided at the intersection of Alderman and Ivy roads at about 6:30 p.m. Monday evening. The cyclist remained in critical condition as of yesterday morning.

"There was no helmet being worn at the time of the crash," Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said. "I would say that was probably one of the other factors that increased some of the injuries sustained."

Roberts said the two collided when the cyclist, who was heading northbound on Alderman, went through the intersection toward John Paul Jones Arena and the driver of the passenger vehicle made a left-hand turn from Alderman heading toward University Avenue. "The cyclist and the Jeep collided pretty much head on," he said.

He added that the Charlottesville Police Department interviewed witnesses yesterday morning, and plans to present their interviews to the Commonwealth's Attorney.

"Our thoughts are with the student and family right now," Roberts said. "It's a difficult situation for both sides."

-compiled by Chelsea Jack