Pro leagues draft eight Cavalier standouts

Eight former and current Virginia athletes were drafted into the professional ranks earlier this month during the Major League Lacrosse and Major League Soccer drafts.

Virginia men's lacrosse senior attacker Steele Stanwick was the first Cavalier chosen during either draft as the Ohio Machine locked up the 2011 Tewaaraton Trophy winner with the second overall pick. Redshirt senior midfielder Colin Briggs also earned a first-round selection as the sixth overall pick by the Denver Outlaws. Senior attacker Chris Bocklet and redshirt senior defenders Matt Lovejoy and Chris Clements rounded out the list of five Cavaliers taken in the draft.

Former men's soccer defender Hunter Jumper held the distinction of being the only Cavalier chosen in the Jan. 12 MLS draft as the Chicago Fire nabbed the standout during the second round with the 28th overall selection. Five days later, former teammates Brian Ownby and Mike Volk were chosen by the Houston Dynamo and the New York Red Bulls, respectively, during the MLS Supplemental Draft. The trio marks the 43rd, 44th and 45th Cavaliers to secure the opportunity to play in the MLS, making the Virginia program the second-most fruitful producer of professional soccer players in the nation.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski