Supporting the occupation

I am writing again to declare my support for all occupations including Occupy Charlottesville.

All over the country, the work is just beginning to address what is both morally and economically unjust. Here in Charlottesville, the plight of the homeless has been brought into our visual collective consciousness more so than it has in the past. It will not be an issue that will be swept away.

Another regional issue is the financing of companies that desecrate our environment through mountaintop coal removal by Bank of America, though it has stated in writing it would not finance these activities. We also know that Goldman Sachs is a large commodities index trader. When you see those pictures of starving children here and across the globe, remember that Goldman Sachs hoards the rice, corn, soybeans and wheat crops until prices double or triple while having no care that a mother may have to decide which child lives or dies. Can you look at your own children and decide?

I can only hope the grandchildren of the children of the children who are exercising their First Amendment rights here and now will revere the names of Scott Olsen, Kanawha Plaza, Dorli Rainey, Liberty/Zuccotti Park, Oakland and Lee Park as we today revere the names of George Washington, Lexington and Concord, Crispus Attucks, Bunker Hill, Thomas Jefferson and Valley Forge.

We as citizens can and should exercise our rights to peaceably assemble, speak freely to the government and demand redress as identified in the Bill of Rights. No public park or public land should ever be closed to the citizens. This right was bought and paid for with the blood of patriots in the 18th century, and this right is being paid for again with the blood of patriots in the 21st century.

Nancy Carpenter\nClinical Nutrition Administrative Assistant\nU.VA. Department of Nutrition Services

Published January 18, 2012 in Letters, Opinion

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Sean
(01/18/12 5:44pm)
Report
Comment

President Obama has run the country for three years. There are still problems?? His largest private campaign contributor? Goldman Sachs.

Obama? $745 million in 2008 campaign cash,\nMcCain? $368 million

Meanwhile, Charlottesville Occupy eventually featured little more than the professional homeless getting high all day, every day - and one woman who was battered in her tent, was a habitual alcoholic, and is now dead.

Amanda
(01/26/12 12:01pm)
Report
Comment

Have you noticed lately that the ONLY people in Charlottesville lauding our local Occupy-band-of-anarchist-wanna-bes are the Occupiers THEMSELVES?! Ignore her professional title. Nancy Carpenter doesn't say so in her missive - but she's one of the main lawbreaking, electricity-mooching, grass-killing, twinkle-fingering crybabies that infested Lee Park.

That's right, Nancy. The rules just don't apply to Occupy. There's nothing un-Constitutional about setting an overnight curfew in park. Jeff Fogle is going to get laughed out of court on January 27 and I hope the judge slaps OC twice as hard. Once for lawlessness and once for arrogance.

Chuck
(01/26/12 7:30pm)
Report
Comment

"We also know that Goldman Sachs is a large commodities index trader. When you see those pictures of starving children here and across the globe, remember that Goldman Sachs hoards the rice, corn, soybeans and wheat crops until prices double or triple while having no care that a mother may have to decide which child lives or dies. Can you look at your own children and decide?"

I see that Cynthia Neff invests in Goldman Sachs:

http://www.vpap.org/candidates/profile/sei/securities/100821?year=2008

As for "No public park or public land should ever be closed to the citizens," I suggest that the Occupiers demonstrate this by taking their occupation over the fences around the White House grounds or the CIA.

The Schilling Show
(01/26/12 7:50pm)
Report
Comment

Occupy Charlottesville mentioned in the same paragraph and given the same stature as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?

Judge for yourself. First read a good biography on Washington or Jefferson, then listen to this, The Terrifying Sounds of Occupy Charlottesville: http://www.schillingshow.com/2011/12/05/trash-talk-the-terrifying-sounds-of-occupy-charlottesville/