Cavaliers repeat as ACC Champs

The No. 11 Virginia women's swimming and diving team Saturday in Blacksburg captured the first ACC crown won by any Virginia athletic program since last spring. The Cavaliers claimed their 10th championship in team history with a gaping margin between its score of 848 points and the 615-point final tally for runner-up North Carolina. Third-place Florida State finished with 460.

North Carolina sophomore Stephanie Peacock usurped Virginia junior Lauren Perdue's two-year reign as the Most Valuable Swimmer. The Tar Heel standout won three events and swam on a pair of medal-winning relays, but Perdue's Cavaliers prevailed.

Virginia kicked off the meet Wednesday with back-to-back victories in the 200 medley and 800 freestyle relays.

During Thursday's finals, freshmen Sarah White and Ellen Williamson gave Virginia clutch swims en route to seizing the top two spots in the 200 individual medley. Virginia won its third relay in the 200 freestyle.

Sophomore Charlotte Clarke won the 100 backstroke ahead of teammate junior Meredith Cavalier, who took second Friday. Redshirt freshman Megan Fox also collected her first career ACC title by winning the 400 individual medley earlier in the evening.

The Cavaliers capped the meet with four wins Saturday. Fox captured her second victory of the meet in the 200 butterfly. Cavalier led a sweep of the 200 backstroke, and Perdue won the 100 freestyle. Virginia wrapped up the spectacular performance by taking the top spot in the 400 freestyle relay.

--compiled by Ian Rappaport

Published February 20, 2012 in Sports

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons