Students play Bay Game

Participants adopt roles in ecosystem, explore environment

OpenGrounds yesterday evening invited graduate students to play the Bay Game, a simulation created by University faculty and students based on the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The game allows players to take the roles of farmers and developers and see the impact of their decisions on the region's economy and ecological health.

"We now are entering a period of climate change and variability that are going to make this type of management very important," Associate Vice President for Research Jeffrey Plank said.

This simulation could allow individuals to see the interaction of environmental conditions in the Chesapeake Bay, Plank said. He added it could "revolutionize the way we think about the Chesapeake Bay - to show how the system works dynamically."

Beth Beal, graduate studies program administrator for the Office of the Vice President for Research, said the game lets users "see how different practices - say organic farming or real estate development - impact the system as a whole."

The simulation also serves as a research platform for fields including business, anthropology, urban planning and systems engineering, according to OpenGrounds' website.

Architecture Prof. William Sherman, OpenGrounds founding director, said faculty from eight schools at the University helped create the game, which is now in its third year of development, according to OpenGrounds' website.

"The Bay Game is significant because it is an example of a diverse group of faculty working together," Sherman said. "It is especially intended to bring together graduate students who don't have a lot of the same structure that undergraduates have to get together."

OpenGrounds, a studio space on the Corner launched last month by the Office of the Vice President for Research, aims to foster this type of collaborative work. The center's purpose is to "inspire people to take risks and do new things in their fields of study, to collaborate across boundaries," Sherman said.