Jul 23, 2017

NEWS

Faculty Senate Executive Council statement on its meeting with Board

Below is the full text of a statement released by the Faculty Senate Executive Council summarizing its meeting with the Board of Visitors this morning:

June 18, 2012

This morning, the Faculty Senate Executive Council met with Rector Dragas to discuss the recent resignation of President Sullivan. We invited the Vice Rector, but he did not attend. The purpose of the meeting was to allow the Council to ask questions raised by the University faculty concerning recent events, and to hear the Board's perspective.

We asked the Rector about the process and the reasons behind President Sullivan's resignation; the principles of shared governance between the faculty, administration and the Board; the Board's desire for a strategic plan; and the Board's justification for the speedy and secretive nature of its actions.

We had a cordial discussion. Based on extensive input from our faculty constituents and the Rector's responses to our questions, we made the following requests:

1. That the Board delay the naming of any interim president to provide an opportunity for shared governance;\n2. That President Sullivan be reinstated;\n3. That the Board recommend representation by UVA faculty on the Board as voting members; and\n4. That the Rector and Vice Rector resign in the best interests of the University.

Published June 18, 2012 in News