Student Board of Visitors member walks back support for handling of Sullivan's resignation

Hurd says "there needs to be more openness and communication" from Board regarding president's departure

Fourth-year College student Hillary Hurd, the non-voting student member of the Board of Visitors, released a statement today saying she would push for the Board to provide more information about the resignation of University President Teresa A. Sullivan.

While Hurd earlier expressed confidence in the Board's decision to seek new leadership, she noted students' requests for more transparency.

"Listening to students, I have heard their deep sense of frustration and concern, and I have urged the Board to provide more information about the reasons for its actions," Hurd said in an email. "As the Board moves forward - regardless of the path it takes - there needs to be more openness and communication. As the new, non-voting student member, this will be my primary message to the Board when it meets on Monday."

The Board has 16 full members, one ex-officio non-voting member and one non-voting student member. Hurd's term began June 1 and will run until May 31 of next year.

The Board meets in closed session tomorrow at 3 p.m. in the Rotunda to discuss candidates for interim president. Sullivan supporters plan to gather silently on the Lawn while the Board is in session.