Zeithaml letter regarding role as future interim University president

Future interim University President Carl Zeithaml issued the following letter this morning ahead of a scheduled meeting of the Board of Visitors next week to consider changes to President Teresa A. Sullivan's employment contract:

Dear University colleagues:

I am grateful for the trust that members of the University's Board of Visitors expressed in asking me to serve as interim president during this extraordinarily difficult time in the life of our University. I made the decision to accept this transition role because of my love for U.Va., as well as my desire to help in a time of crisis.

In the three days since I accepted this position, I have talked to many in our community about what transpired on Grounds while I was out of the country on University business, and I received a great deal of input from numerous colleagues, including members of the faculty. I deeply appreciate and respect this input.

Clearly, we agree that the University and its reputation have been damaged these past 13 days, but that together we can mend the harm done and move our great University forward. Trust, one of our core institutional values, has been compromised.

There is an enormous groundswell of support for Terry Sullivan's reinstatement as our president, and I understand that the Board will meet next week to consider this possibility. As a result, I am suspending any further negotiations with the Board regarding my status as interim president, as well as any activities associated with this role. In the meantime, I will return my focus to the McIntire School.

Trust cannot be restored in our community until the President Sullivan's status is clarified and ultimately resolved.

With kind regards,

Carl Zeithaml\nDean of the McIntire School of Commerce

Published June 22, 2012 in News

OPINION

• RUSSO: Needing extra assistance

The University should make a greater effort to help disabled students find employment after graduation ...

• BROWN: Bored by this Board

Fundamental changes should be made to the Board of Visitors selection process

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...