Current, former University swimmers qualify for U.S. Olympic team

Perdue, McLean will compete across the pond at London games

perdue-cropped

Current Virginia swimmer Lauren Perdue and former Cavalier Matt McLean are London-bound. The duo will shift their focus from representing the blue and orange to donning the red, white and blue after each earned spots on the U.S. Olympic team at the United States Olympic Swimming Trials in Omaha, Neb.n nThe meet concluded Monday night with the announcement of relay selections. Matt McLean officially clinched a spot on the 4 × 200 meter relay squad five days after the performance which earned him the honor. The 2011 graduate finished fifth in the men’s 200 meter freestyle during the meet’s third day with a time of 1:46.78, but because he missed the top four, he was left to wait for Monday’s formal announcement.n nTwo days later, Perdue demonstrated she has fully recovered from the back surgery that kept her out of the NCAA National Championships in March. The rising senior nabbed a spot on the women’s 4 × 200 relay with a fourth place finish. Her time of 1:57.75 made her the first Cavalier to solidify her Olympic berth.n nThe other Cavalier to qualify for a final was McLean’s classmate Scott Robison, who finished seventh in the 100 freestyle after nabbing the top time of the opening round with a blazing 49.08.n nPerdue and McLean are the fourth and fifth Virginia swimmers to represent the United States at the Olympics, respectively, as well as the tenth and eleventh Cavaliers to make the Olympics for any country.n n- Compiled by Ian Rappaport

Published July 2, 2012 in Sports

• Patriot said:

Let's keep Hannah in our prayers.
    on Search continues for second-year Hannah Graham

• Gail Hyder Wiley said:

Documenting the physical aspects of a sexual assault is critical. There is time afterward for the victim to decide whether to pursue action against the ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Keep our police

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• WeAreDoomedBecauseWeCantLaugh said:

Are you kidding me? Offended by Springtime for Hitler as Anti-Semitic? Do people not learn what Satire ianymore? The Writer, Producer, and most of the ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons