Courses promote language learning

A short-term language program set in motion by the University’s International Center aims to provide students with a jumpstart in the basic phonetics, grammar and conversational phrases of a foreign language, according to a University statement released Monday.

The program, open to anyone in the University and Charlottesville communities, will require participants to take two three-hour courses, followed by small group practice with native speakers. The Center launched “Language Jumpstart” to enhance communication between the University and its international peers through the basic instruction of foreign languages, according to the program’s website.

The course is a collaborative effort between the International Center and the Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. Admission to the program is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Instruction in Spanish will be offered Sept. 22 and 29, and Italian instruction will take place Oct. 20 and 27. The program supports the University’s global education initiatives by providing opportunities for University community members to share their cultures with each other.

The International Center anticipates additional languages will be added to the program in future months.