SPORTS

London suspends three football players

Coach Mike London announced Monday that he has suspended sophomore weakside linebacker Henry Coley, junior tight end Jeremiah Mathis and senior fullback LoVante’ Battle indefinitely for violating team rules.

London refused to divulge the specific infractions that precipitated the suspensions but declared that the punishment would hold until he felt “satisfied that the things [that] are required and that have to be done…have been satisfied or not.” The suspensions are Virginia’s first this season.

The absence of Coley, who has started all eight games alongside senior middle linebacker Steve Greer, will likely impact the Cavaliers the most when they travel to N.C. State this weekend. Coley ranks fourth on the team with 40 tackles and first with 10 passes broken up on the season. Sophomore Daquan Romero, who has logged substantial playing time in rotation with Coley at the weakside linebacker position, will start Saturday’s game against the Wolfpack.

Mathis has caught five passes for 42 yards and a touchdown in an ancillary role this season. With seniors Colter Philips and Paul Freedman fulfilling most of the blocking responsibilities and sophomore Jake McGee providing a potent threat in the passing game, the loss of Mathis should not affect Virginia’s offensive gameplan significantly.

Battle has registered one carry for 22 yards and one catch for a loss of a yard this season while splitting time at fullback with sophomore Zachary Swanson.

Published October 29, 2012 in FP test, Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...