Squads eviscerate season-opening competition

spnauruthvirginiaathleticsf

The Virginia swimming and diving teams eviscerated their season-opening competition this weekend, capturing all 32 events against Navy on Friday before sweeping Pittsburgh on the road Sunday.

The women cruised past the Midshipmen 168-118 and earned the top four finishes in 11-of-16 races. Junior Rachel Naurath paced the Cavaliers with three individual victories, and senior Lauren Perdue and freshman Courtney Bartholomew each claimed two events.

Last year, the Virginia men fell 159-139 against Navy as they struggled to capture short-distance races. This year’s squad reversed course during a 162-124 drumming in which senior Brady Fox, sophomore David Ingraham and senior Tom Barrett each topped two individual races.

Barrett won the 50- and 100-meter freestyle races to avenge last season’s close losses against Navy’s then-sophomore Zach Ingold. During that meet, Ingold bested Barrett’s 23:48 time by four-hundredths of a second in the 50 free and downed him again in the 100-meter race. This year Barrett turned the tables. He beat Ingold in the 100 and improved his 50 time by more than three seconds for the victory.

The Cavalier men and women then traveled to Pittsburgh, where they won 155-130 and 155-131, respectively. Sophomore Sean Casey finished first in three races, and Naurath won two more events to bring her weekend total to five.

After the weekend’s victorious efforts, Virginia returns to the Aquatic & Fitness Center for dual meets against South Carolina Friday and Saturday.

Published October 30, 2012 in Sports