Greer, Aboushi earn All-ACC honors

Both senior linebacker Steve Greer and offensive tackle Oday Aboushi close their Virginia careers as the conference’s best at their respective positions. The two Cavaliers earned first-team All-ACC honors Monday. The league also recognized sophomore tight end Jake McGee, sophomore cornerback Demetrious Nicholson and senior linebacker La’Roy Reynolds with honorable mentions.

Greer saved what was arguably his best performance for his last collegiate game, posting a career-best 19 tackles against Virginia Tech. The effort netted him the ACC’s Linebacker of the Week award and gave him 122 tackles for the season, the conference’s second-highest total. Greer’s 376 tackles at Virginia trails only Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o for the most among active BCS players.

Aboushi, meanwhile, not only claimed the ACC accolade but also received an early invitation to the 2013 Senior Bowl, which includes the nation’s top players at each position. Aboushi entered the year as a pre-season All-American and graded out at better than 90 percent in all 12 games. He averaged more than 10 knockdowns per game while anchoring an offensive line that allowed the conference’s second-fewest sacks.