President approves McDonnell's request for federal disaster relief

President Barack Obama grants aid for 28 Virginia counties and cities following Hurricane Sandy

nssandyferryalexawelchedlundrichmondtimesdispatch

Mike Ferreira (cq), with New Horizon Security, closes the road to the Jamestown Ferry as Hurricane Sandy heads torward the eastern coast Monday, October 29, 2012.

President Barack Obama this week approved Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s request for federal disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Administration to reimburse 28 counties and cities in Virginia following the damaging effects of Hurricane Sandy.

“I thank President Obama for his prompt decision to grant federal disaster assistance for local and state governments,” McDonnell said in a press release. “This action will go a long way toward reimbursing local governments for their costs.”

Applying for federal disaster assistance was a lengthy process, said Bob Spieldenner, spokesperson for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

“What happens is we have to get damage reports from the local governments and then verify those findings, and then we do a formal damage assessment,” Spieldenner said. “We see if the paperwork is what we need, and then we have to wait for the reply. There was a holiday in there too, and that probably impacted the approval from FEMA.”

Spieldenner said the money was going to state and local governments for their efforts involved in the cleanup and protection during the hurricane. It does not go directly to Virginia residents.

FEMA will reimburse up to 75 percent of costs, Spieldenner said. The other 25 percent is split between state and local governments.

“It could take months for the localities to be reimbursed,” Spieldenner said. “This is the beginning of the process. We will be working with localities and hopefully they will get their funds reimbursed.”

Only counties that FEMA thinks has justifiable costs will be reimbursed, said Debbie Powers, deputy coordinator in the Arlington county Office of Emergency Management.

To be eligible for federal relief, each locality has to have incurred a certain amount of expenses, Spieldenner said. The threshold for expenses to determine eligibility for aid is based on a formula that takes into account the population of a particular county or city. Smaller communities need a threshold of up to $40,000 in damages, Spieldenner said.

Counties not approved for disaster assistance now can apply for funds later, if necessary.

“The 28 [localities] that are approved have all passed the threshold,” Spieldenner said. “There is the possibility we can add more if necessary. That’s happened before. Some may not have been ready when the process started.”

Published November 29, 2012 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons