NEWS

President approves McDonnell's request for federal disaster relief

President Barack Obama grants aid for 28 Virginia counties and cities following Hurricane Sandy

nssandyferryalexawelchedlundrichmondtimesdispatch

Mike Ferreira (cq), with New Horizon Security, closes the road to the Jamestown Ferry as Hurricane Sandy heads torward the eastern coast Monday, October 29, 2012.


President Barack Obama this week approved Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s request for federal disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Administration to reimburse 28 counties and cities in Virginia following the damaging effects of Hurricane Sandy.

“I thank President Obama for his prompt decision to grant federal disaster assistance for local and state governments,” McDonnell said in a press release. “This action will go a long way toward reimbursing local governments for their costs.”

Applying for federal disaster assistance was a lengthy process, said Bob Spieldenner, spokesperson for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

“What happens is we have to get damage reports from the local governments and then verify those findings, and then we do a formal damage assessment,” Spieldenner said. “We see if the paperwork is what we need, and then we have to wait for the reply. There was a holiday in there too, and that probably impacted the approval from FEMA.”

Spieldenner said the money was going to state and local governments for their efforts involved in the cleanup and protection during the hurricane. It does not go directly to Virginia residents.

FEMA will reimburse up to 75 percent of costs, Spieldenner said. The other 25 percent is split between state and local governments.

“It could take months for the localities to be reimbursed,” Spieldenner said. “This is the beginning of the process. We will be working with localities and hopefully they will get their funds reimbursed.”

Only counties that FEMA thinks has justifiable costs will be reimbursed, said Debbie Powers, deputy coordinator in the Arlington county Office of Emergency Management.

To be eligible for federal relief, each locality has to have incurred a certain amount of expenses, Spieldenner said. The threshold for expenses to determine eligibility for aid is based on a formula that takes into account the population of a particular county or city. Smaller communities need a threshold of up to $40,000 in damages, Spieldenner said.

Counties not approved for disaster assistance now can apply for funds later, if necessary.

“The 28 [localities] that are approved have all passed the threshold,” Spieldenner said. “There is the possibility we can add more if necessary. That’s happened before. Some may not have been ready when the process started.”


Published November 29, 2012 in FP test, News



  • Sabrina No Source said:

    Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

  • James Roberts said:

    Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

  • Carrie Clarke said:

    Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

  • HallieJane said:

    Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

  • CrazyD said:

    The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie





The Cavalier Daily welcomes thoughtful, respectful and relevant comments that contribute to a public dialogue. In order to maintain a high level of discourse, all comments must be approved by our moderator. For more information, view our full comment policy.

Comments powered by Disqus

Powered by powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News