Banner

Virginia Tech crushes No. 17 Virginia matmen

spwrestling_jonfauseymb

The No. 17 Virginia wrestling team lost a blowout match to No. 12 Virginia Tech 25-6 in Blacksburg, Virginia Sunday in the Cavaliers’ ACC opener.

Only two Cavaliers (6-2, 0-1 ACC) won matches against the team’s Coastal-division rival. Freshman George DiCamillo recorded the first Virginia victory by defeating Hokie (3-1, 1-0 ACC) redshirt junior Erik Spjut in the 133-pound weight class. DiCamillo scored a clutch takedown in the third period to secure the 5-3 decision.

Redshirt junior Jon Fausey was the other victorious Cavalier, defeating Virginia Tech redshirt freshman Austin Gabel in a 4-2 decision. Following a scoreless first period, Fausey earned a point after a stall warning on Gabel. Fausey would ride Gabel for the remainder of the second period.

Virginia Tech gained momentum in the opening bout between two redshirt seniors in the 125-pound weight class. Eighth-ranked Hokie Jarrod Garnett dominated Cavalier No. 5 Matt Snyder for an 11-2 decision. After DiCamillo earned Virginia’s first win, Virginia Tech won four consecutive matches to extend its lead to 16-3.

Virginia now transitions into tournament competition at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Cliff Keen Invitational is known as one of the most prestigious college tournaments featuring the nation’s elite wrestlers.

Published November 25, 2012 in Sports

Subscribe to our email edition

Get The Cavalier Daily delivered to your inbox every morning.

Subscribe now!

Popular

Calendar:

• No events for today

• No events for Sat