Virginia Tech crushes No. 17 Virginia matmen

spwrestling_jonfauseymb

The No. 17 Virginia wrestling team lost a blowout match to No. 12 Virginia Tech 25-6 in Blacksburg, Virginia Sunday in the Cavaliers’ ACC opener.

Only two Cavaliers (6-2, 0-1 ACC) won matches against the team’s Coastal-division rival. Freshman George DiCamillo recorded the first Virginia victory by defeating Hokie (3-1, 1-0 ACC) redshirt junior Erik Spjut in the 133-pound weight class. DiCamillo scored a clutch takedown in the third period to secure the 5-3 decision.

Redshirt junior Jon Fausey was the other victorious Cavalier, defeating Virginia Tech redshirt freshman Austin Gabel in a 4-2 decision. Following a scoreless first period, Fausey earned a point after a stall warning on Gabel. Fausey would ride Gabel for the remainder of the second period.

Virginia Tech gained momentum in the opening bout between two redshirt seniors in the 125-pound weight class. Eighth-ranked Hokie Jarrod Garnett dominated Cavalier No. 5 Matt Snyder for an 11-2 decision. After DiCamillo earned Virginia’s first win, Virginia Tech won four consecutive matches to extend its lead to 16-3.

Virginia now transitions into tournament competition at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Cliff Keen Invitational is known as one of the most prestigious college tournaments featuring the nation’s elite wrestlers.

Published November 25, 2012 in Sports

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons