Metallica helps raise thousands for Morgan Harrington scholarship

Partnership between rock band and Virginia Tech bookstore benefits fund honoring missing student's memory

ns-harrington

Rock band Metallica has helped raise $17,000 for the Morgan Harrington Scholarship Fund since it partnered with the Virginia Tech bookstore in October to allow the school to sell “Enter Sandman” shirts.

Former Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington went missing in Oct. 2009 after attending a Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena.

The most recent partnership between the band and Harrington family led to the creation of the of maroon and orange colored T-shirts that included the Metallica lyrics “Enter Sandman”.

The Morgan Harrington Scholarship Fund, to which all shirt proceeds go, sponsors students studying with Virginia Tech’s Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, where Morgan used to work.

Virginia Tech Bookstore Associate Director David Wilson said he is thrilled about the initiative’s success.

“It’s kind of exciting, and there has been really good interest in it,” Wilson said. “So far, everything has gone really well.”

The short sleeved version of the shirt sells for $19.99 and the long sleeve version for $24.99 at the Virginia Tech Bookstore.

Published December 2, 2012 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• WeAreDoomedBecauseWeCantLaugh said:

Are you kidding me? Offended by Springtime for Hitler as Anti-Semitic? Do people not learn what Satire ianymore? The Writer, Producer, and most of the ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons