Seven Society makes public statement regarding recent events

dsc_0132djpg

“No man is an island entire of itself,” read the seven banners The Seven Society distributed around Grounds just before sundown Saturday.

The quotation, urging members of the University community to take stock of their responsibilities to each other, is a rare public statement from a secret society more associated with clandestine acts of kindness, such as University donations.

One of the oldest secret societies on Grounds, the group chose English poet John Donne’s words in light of recent events this semester, including the death of fourth-year College student Casey Schulman while on a Semester-at-Sea trip, several sexual assaults and an alleged hate crime, according to a University statement released Sunday.

“In the trauma of a hate crime or sexual assault, and in the tragedy of the passing of one of our own, we have only each other,” the secret society said in a letter sent to the University. “To tolerate injustice and descend into apathy is to dissolve these bonds that are the foundation of our community.”

To ensure its message reached all students on Grounds The Seven Society placed the banners on Saunders Hall at the Darden School of Business, Clay Hall at the School of Law, the Old Medical School Building, the old faculty housing building at 203 Rugby Road, Alderman Library, Clark Hall and Pavilion VII in the Academical Village, according to the University release.

Published December 9, 2012 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons