SPORTS

Cavaliers roll 74-58 against rival Hokies

Freshman Nolte’s career night carries team on road

spmbballanoh

The Virginia men’s basketball team sailed by Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, building a 9-point lead by halftime en route to a workmanlike 74-58 victory.

With the win, the Cavaliers (13-5, 3-2 ACC) notched their biggest margin of victory against the Hokies (11-7, 2-3 ACC) since 2000 and dispelled the notion they couldn’t beat a conference opponent on the road, having lost previously to Clemson and Wake Forest in their first two attempts.

Freshman forward Evan Nolte led Virginia’s offensive efforts. Nolte poured in a career-best 18 points on 6-of-12 shooting. The sharpshooter was even more efficient from three, knocking down 5-of-9 attempts beyond the arc. Junior guard Joe Harris had his stroke going as well, with 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including 4-of-6 on 3-pointers. Coach Tony Bennett rode his hot-handed marksmen, playing Nolte and Harris 34 and 35 minutes, respectively.

At the defensive end, the Cavaliers held Virginia Tech to only one double-digit scorer. But senior Hokie guard Erick Green single-handedly matched Nolte and Harris’ combined output with 35 points, the most Virginia has allowed any opposing scorer under Bennett. The Cavaliers were unable to clamp down on Green. They fouled him repeatedly and sent him to the line 13 times, where Green sank 10 free throws.

The Cavaliers seek to carry the road momentum back home, where they take on Boston College Saturday.

Published January 24, 2013 in FP test, Sports

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• NycCav said:

Honestly...I have refrained from commenting as the CD is for the students as far as I am concerned (as an alum), but please stop embarrassing yourselves. ...

• Pat said:

Letting outside reporters like TR Shapiro come in and do circles around the CD and its staff in its own backyard is one thing; being unable to even acknowledge ...

• Uva_reader said:

The students who produced this video need to familiarize themselves with the Honor Code, which calls for students who lie to be punished, not thanked. ...

• JG said:

Translation of William Evan's world view: "If its not something worthwhile and beneficial to me personally, I have no problem calling for its destruction ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: EVANS: Gleaning meaning