Football recruit arrested for underaged drinking

Taquan Mizzell, a highly touted football recruit out of Virginia Beach’s Bayside High School, was arrested for underage possession of alcohol 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Charlottesville Police Lieut. Ronnie Roberts said.

Mizzell verbally committed to the University in August, but this commitment is unofficial.

Mizzell had attracted the attention of an officer because he was standing alone in the road.

“He was released the same morning,” Roberts said. “He was very cooperative with law enforcement [and] probably was detained for an hour to an hour-and-a-half.”

Virginia Athletics spokesperson Vincent Briedis said the athletics department could not comment on any aspect of football recruitment until National Signing Day, which is Feb. 6.

Underage possession of alcohol is a class one misdemeanor in Virginia. Mizzell has a court date pending in Charlottesville General District Court and will enter his plea at that time, Roberts said.

Published January 24, 2013 in FP test, Sports, News

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...