Getting your 'eat' on at Charlottesville Restaurant Week

Are you eager to try out one of the eateries in the city that supposedly boasts the highest number of restaurants per capita in the country? Charlottesville Restaurant Week offers the chance to do so without emptying your wallet, while also supporting local restaurants and a local charity.

From Jan. 21 to Jan. 27, 13 participating Charlottesville restaurants will offer three-course menus including an appetizer, entrée and dessert for $29 or $36. One dollar from each meal goes to the Local Food Hub, a nonprofit organization that links local farmers to Charlottesville consumers. Many of the locations participating in Restaurant Week feature Local Food Hub produce.

“The Local Food Hub works hard to provide fresh, locally sourced foods to many great local organizations, ensuring that everyone in our community has access to nutritious and delicious fruits and vegetables,” Restaurant Week Coordinator Anna Harrison said. The organization supplies produce to public schools, U.Va. dining halls, the University Hospital, restaurants and retailers.

In addition to benefitting local charities, Restaurant Week gives diners the chance “to try some restaurants that may be out of their price range or comfort zone,” Harrison said.

When few students seek to explore their culinary options beyond the Corner, the reduced price dining options will expand their options for dining out, said third-year Commerce student Lina Ly.

“The restaurants we’re thinking of [going to] are a bit higher-end, and I think we should take advantage of the opportunity to go without breaking the bank,” Ly said.

The offer is also perfect for students on a tight budget looking for new restaurants for special occasions or family visits, third-year Batten student Mai Le said.

Ten restaurants are providing $29 three-course menus: Orzo, Ristorante al Dente, Horse & Hound Gastropub, The Bavarian Chef Madison, bang!, Balkan Bistro & Bar, The Melting Pot, Da Luca Café & Wine Bar, Burton’s Grill and Old Mill Room at The Boar’s Head. C&O Restaurant, L’etoile and Caffe Bocce will offer $36 menus.

Restaurant Week diners have a chance to profit from their affinity for food photography. By uploading a picture of their meal to Instagram and Twitter with the hashtag #cvilleyum and their location @(restaurantname), diners will be entered into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to bang! restaurant.