NEWS

Grant improves outlook for newborn cardiac screenings

Funds will support new testing; doctors hope to eliminate later health risks

The University Medical Center is looking into providing a new screening service that would detect heart disease in newborn babies. A $900,000 grant recently awarded to the Virginia Department of Health will be used to explore the viability of instituting this procedure through data collection and training.

The procedure, known as pulse oximetry, or pulse-ox for short, uses existing technology to monitor small changes in blood oxygen levels that might indicate a congenital heart defect.

“The technology is not new at all … it’s a very simple way of measuring oxygen levels in the blood,” said Paul Mathern, professor of pediatrics. “It just turns out that most Critical Congenital Heart Defects have at least very mild decreases in blood oxygen levels. I mean, the babies look normal, but this test just allows us to pick up something that is not perceptible by the naked eye.”

About 40,000 babies are born each year with some form of Congenital Heart Disease and between 8,000 and 10,000 are born with Critical Congenital Heart Disease, according to a presentation provided by Matherne. Of those with CCHD, 2-4 percent are released undiagnosed, but the pulse-ox technology would solve that issue. There are 100-200 estimated deaths from “Unrecognized Critical Congenital Heart Disease in Neonates” each year.

“At the University, we are all about exporting knowledge and developing knowledge, and that’s what we are doing with this,” Mathan said. “I [want to] be involved in setting policy and improving care to improve children’s lives.”

—compiled by Jordan Bower

Published January 31, 2013 in Grounds, FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...