London tabs Fairchild as new offensive coordinator

Coach moves quickly to fill vacancy left by Bill Lazor's departure

spstevefairchildvaathletics

Virginia football coach Mike London did not wait long to fill the coaching vacancy left by offensive coordinator Bill Lazor’s abrupt departure for the NFL Tuesday. One day after the former Cavalier assistant announced he would be leaving the University to become quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, London tapped former Colorado State head coach Steve Fairchild as Lazor’s replacement.

Fairchild, 54, brings with him 31 years of coaching experience — including 16 as an offensive coordinator — both in college and the NFL. His most recent position was senior offensive assistant for the San Diego Chargers in 2012.

In his lone job as head coach, Fairchild led his Alma mater Colorado State to a 16-33 record from 2008-11. He previously served as offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams and Buffalo Bills between 2003-07.

Fairchild has worked with a great deal of dynamic talent in his extensive coaching career, including two stints with pro football hall-of-famer Marshall Faulk. In addition, Fairchild helped guide quarterback J.P. Losman to the 11th best quarterback rating in the NFL as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills in 2006.

Fairchild will look to bring stability to a Virginia program that has undergone significant turnover in its coaching staff after a rocky season. London dismissed four coaches, including defensive coordinator Jim Reid, on Dec. 2 after finishing 4-8 in 2012.

Fairchild will receive a two-year contract worth $450,000 annually.

—compiled by Daniel Weltz

Published January 30, 2013 in FP test, Sports

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...