SPORTS

Olympic gold medalist to receive another honor

Swimmer Lauren Perdue will be recognized as part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day

splaurenperduejt

During halftime of the Virginia women’s basketball team’s home game against Georgia Tech, the school will honor star senior swimmer and 2012 London Olympics gold medalist Lauren Perdue as part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day on Sunday, Feb. 3.

A native of Greenville, N.C., Perdue made headlines in Charlottesville last summer when she returned from the London Olympics with gold from the United States women’s victory in the 4×200 meter freestyle relay. She holds school and ACC records in the 50, 100 and 200 meter freestyle events and was named the 2011 ACC Swimmer of the Year. In each of Perdue’s first three years, the Cavalier women have claimed the ACC title.

Perdue joined Matt McLean, Ed Moses and Melanie Valerio as the only Virginia swimmers to ever win Olympic gold.

“Lauren Perdue is a deserving honoree for this year’s ‘National Girls and Women in Sports Day,’” Athletics Director Craig Littlepage said in a press release. “In addition to being a world-class athlete, she is a dedicated student and a wonderful representative of the University.”

Perdue follows 2011 Pan-American Games field hockey gold medalists Paige Selenski and Michelle Vittese as an honoree. The Virginia Athletics Department and University Women’s Center are co-sponsoring the event, which is being held for the 27th time.

Published January 15, 2013 in Swim & Dive, FP test, Sports