NEWS

Police respond to University of Virginia's College at Wise hoax

Virginia State Police responded to a hoax phone call late Wednesday evening, after a University of Virginia’s College at Wise student reported seeing a masked gunman loose on campus.

The student made the call shortly before 9 p.m. but later admitted when questioned that he had lied, a Virginia State Police spokesperson said.

The emergency prompted a campus-wide lockdown, with students advised to stay inside, University spokesperson McGregor McCance confirmed.

UVA-Wise Police, Town of Wise Police, Wise County Sheriff’s Office, Town of Pound Police, and Virginia State Police were dispatched to the scene.

The campus lifted the alert shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday evening and returned to normal operations.

The investigation is still ongoing.

This is a developing story.

Published January 23, 2013 in FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...