Construction closes McCormick Road, Newcomb Drive

nsconstructiondharding

Construction delays at the intersection of McCormick Road and Newcomb Drive closed the area to traffic Sunday and reduced it to one lane for part of Monday.

The project took longer than expected due to complications in reinstalling a water service line, said Jay Klingel, the director of operations for Facilities Management.

As a part of the replacement of the McCormick Road Bridge, workers had to move the pipeline from under the bridge to below Emmett Street, Klingel said.

The final tie-in to connect the water service line was scheduled for last Thursday evening, Klingel said, but the workers ran into trouble re-accessing some of the valves and piping joints.

Many residents were frustrated by the early morning road work. “They had jack hammers at seven in the morning while I was sleeping and it make me very angry,” said second-year College student Olivia Fowkes, who lives in Old Dorms near the construction. “I feel like the construction takes forever.”

The job was completed Monday and McCormick Road was repaved by the end of the afternoon. The delay is not expected to hinder the overall progress of the bridge’s reconstruction, which they hope to complete by July 20.

—compiled by Alia Sharif

Published February 11, 2013 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons