NEWS

Engineering master's program seeks military veterans, graduates

National Science Foundation facilitates Virginia Military Institute's students' University enrollment

nsengineeringschooljtruong

The Engineering School’s Accelerated Systems Engineering Master’s Program is looking to increase recruitment of military veterans and alumni of military graduates. The one-year program is designed for people working full-time to earn 33 credits predominately through intensive Friday and Saturday courses.

The University will pair with the Virginia Military Institute after receiving a grant from the National Science Foundation that aims to increase the number of science, technology and engineering majors in the workforce.

The program also works to ensure those leaving the military have the opportunity to pursue higher education, in order to be competitive in the job market, VMI spokesperson Colonel Stewart MacInnis said.

“Usually more than half of the members of a graduating class enter the military, but only about 16 percent of VMI alumni make the military a lifelong career,” Stewart said in an email. “Most serve a tour and then begin a civilian career. VMI has developed memoranda of understanding with a number of graduate schools and a number of disciplines to allow its graduates to continue their education.”

MacInnis said the University program, which typically enrolls between 30 and 40 students, would also benefit from having students with real-world and military experience in the classroom.

Graduates of the program typically seek careers in a wide variety of specialized fields including positions in the defense industry, the banking industry and hospital administration, said Assoc. Engineering Prof. Michael Smith, the director of the accelerated program.

“Systems engineers are problem solvers trying to use data and analysis to try and make better-informed decisions,” Smith said. “Systems Engineers solve problems that involve multiple subsystems and components, and we focus on how we can make sure that all the pieces are working together well to try to solve the problem.”

Published February 26, 2013 in Grounds, FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...