SPORTS

Women's lacrosse narrowly miss upset win

spwlax_stephensopt1cjacob

For the first 40 minutes of its Sunday afternoon matchup in the Carrier Dome, the No. 8 Virginia women’s lacrosse team looked poised to score an upset victory against No. 2 Syracuse. The Orange, however, rallied from an early deficit to pull out a 10-9 win.

The Cavaliers (2-1) stormed to 4-0 lead in the game’s opening 21 minutes on goals from a trio of attackers — sophomore Casey Bocklet, senior co-captain Caroline McTiernan and junior Dana Boyle — and a strike from sophomore midfielder Courtney Swan. After a pair of Syracuse goals and a tally from Virginia sophomore midfielder Morgan Stephens with under a minute to play, Virginia entered halftime with a 5-2 lead.

The Orange (2-1) worked their way back into the game behind its pair of 2012 First Team All-America attackers, junior Alyssa Murray and senior Michelle Tumolo. Murray scored the Orange’s only two goals of the first half, and Tumolo began an offensive flurry of her own with her strike just over five minutes into the second half. Syracuse closed the gap to 6-5 on Murray’s third goal of the game, but Virginia recovered to take an 8-5 lead when junior attacker Ashlee Warner found the back of the net with 20 minutes remaining and Bocklet scored off a McTiernan pass 12 seconds later.

Syracuse used a three-goal run to draw even with 13:18 to play and took its first lead of the afternoon when Murray tallied her fourth goal of the game about a minute later. The Cavaliers tied the game at nine courtesy of Stephens, but the Orange would have the final word. Syracuse freshman attacker and midfielder Kayla Treanor scored the game-winner with 4:56 on the clock.

Bocklet had a chance to tie the game late, but her shot was off the mark. Syracuse then forced a turnover with less than 10 seconds left in the game to end the Cavaliers’ comeback hopes.

Stephens paced Virginia with three goals, and Bocklet, McTiernan, Boyle and Warner contributed two points each. Senior goalkeeper Kim Kolarik saved 10 of 20 shots on goal and senior co-captain Megan Dunleavy led the defense with four ground balls and one caused turnover. In the second half, the Cavaliers committed seven turnovers and mustered eight shots to Syracuse’s 14.

The Cavaliers will play their home-opener at Klöckner Stadium March 1 at 7 p.m. against No. 4 Maryland.

—compiled by Matthew Morris

Published February 24, 2013 in Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...