It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad (Art) World

The arts scene at the University is gearing up for its biggest event of the year: Arts Madness. Orchestrated by the Student Arts Committee, Arts Madness is a week featuring an array of lectures, workshops, shows and films, all celebrating the thriving talent of the student body.

Arts Madness officially kicked off Friday and Saturday evening with a two-part ARTStravanganza. The event served as an opening ceremony for the week, with performances by a number of student 5groups, including the First Year Players. Participation in ARTStravaganza events helps organizations increase their visibility on Grounds, said First-year College student Taylor Goodson, who will play the role of Aunt Eller in FYP’s spring performance of Oklahoma!.

“It was such a rush performing for ARTStravaganza,” Goodson said. “I think we did a solid job with the song [we performed], so hopefully people enjoyed it enough to come see the whole show.”

Just in its second year, Arts Madness has revamped its schedule from its inaugural year, now favoring quality over quantity.

“Last year, we had so much going on that we realized no one could keep track of it, and as a result we decided to pare down a bit this Spring,” said Student Arts Committee co-chair Kelsey Petrie, a third-year College student. “We have consolidated our events and focused on only one or two per day of the week in order to grasp people’s attention in a more focused and effective manner.”

The variety of events ensures that there is something for everyone — the lineup includes film screenings, a talk about beginning your own art collection while on a student budget, and a pinhole photography workshop, among many others.

“Arts Madness is focused on bringing the arts to as many people as possible, and being as broad-reaching as possible,” Petrie said. “Sampling the events Arts Madness has to offer allows students to get their feet wet, trying out a wide array of arts and getting to know the ins and outs of the arts scene at U.Va.”

Events will be held every night of the week before ending with the Independent Student Arts Project Fund reception at Eunoia on Saturday, March 30. A full list of events can be found at www.virginia.edu/arts/artsmadness.

“Arts Madness is for everyone,” Petrie said. “Embrace your sense of adventure and try something new! That’s what college is for, after all — right?”