Authorities investigate Charlottesville police shooting

Officer Alex Bruner remains on administrative leave with pay, Roberts says

nspoliceshootingdharding

The Charlottesville Commonwealth Attorney’s Office is overseeing the Charlottesville Police Department in an investigation of a shooting that took place Saturday morning shortly before 1 a.m.

The Charlottesville Commonwealth Attorney’s office and the Charlottesville Police Department are investigating a shooting involving two adult males and a police officer. The incident occurred Saturday morning shortly before 1 a.m. near the 100 block of Second Street NW, just off the Downtown Mall.

Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said both suspects were sent to the University Medical Center for treatment. The identity of the two suspects will remain undisclosed until family members have been notified appropriately, Roberts said.

Four-year veteran police officer Alex Bruner has been placed on administrative leave with pay after reporting discharging his gun at the scene, Roberts said. Roberts said this administrative procedure is “not uncommon.”

A witness who was driving northbound on Second Street reported observing a tall, light-skinned African-American male pulling a gun and firing at a shorter, dark-skinned African-American male, Roberts said. Once the male was down, the witness said the shooter approached with the gun forward as if he was going to fire again. The witness then reported hearing shots after seeing the officer arrive on the scene, dismount his bicycle and move toward the shooter.

Roberts said the police are working on finding solutions to address the concerns of local store and restaurant owners who say violent incidents are not new to the area.

“Responding to the community and business owner desires … will be a part of what our organization will do,” Roberts said.

Those with information regarding Saturday morning’s shooting are asked to call the Charlottesville Police Department at 434-970-3280.

Published March 18, 2013 in FP test, News