NEWS

StudCo introduces two bills, tables both

Council considers transparency measures, endorsement request

nsstudcojtruong

Student Council discussed a reform aimed to increase Council’s transparency at its Tuesday meeting. The bylaw change would require Council to make updated bills available online and create a timeline by which time the information must be public.

The reform would also require Council to post budgets indicating how much the allocation committee will give to CIOs.

“Student Council is supposed to be the student voice, and people need to know what the representatives are saying on their behalf,” said fourth-year Engineering student Alex Reber, chair of the representative body.

Third-year College student Caroline Wells, president of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, presented Council with a bill to publicly endorse a piece of legislation before Congress. The Congressional bill would make money spent on infrastructure improvements to sorority and fraternity housing tax deductible.

Wells is going to Washington, D.C. in April to lobby along with the Fraternal Government Relations Coalition.

The introduced bills were tabled and will be voted on in as early as two weeks.

—compiled by Kelly Kaler

Published March 19, 2013 in Student Council, FP test, News

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• NycCav said:

Honestly...I have refrained from commenting as the CD is for the students as far as I am concerned (as an alum), but please stop embarrassing yourselves. ...

• Pat said:

Letting outside reporters like TR Shapiro come in and do circles around the CD and its staff in its own backyard is one thing; being unable to even acknowledge ...

• Uva_reader said:

The students who produced this video need to familiarize themselves with the Honor Code, which calls for students who lie to be punished, not thanked. ...

• JG said:

Translation of William Evan's world view: "If its not something worthwhile and beneficial to me personally, I have no problem calling for its destruction ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: EVANS: Gleaning meaning