Subscribe to the Cavalier Daily

StudCo introduces two bills, tables both

Council considers transparency measures, endorsement request

nsstudcojtruong

Student Council discussed a reform aimed to increase Council’s transparency at its Tuesday meeting. The bylaw change would require Council to make updated bills available online and create a timeline by which time the information must be public.

The reform would also require Council to post budgets indicating how much the allocation committee will give to CIOs.

“Student Council is supposed to be the student voice, and people need to know what the representatives are saying on their behalf,” said fourth-year Engineering student Alex Reber, chair of the representative body.

Third-year College student Caroline Wells, president of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, presented Council with a bill to publicly endorse a piece of legislation before Congress. The Congressional bill would make money spent on infrastructure improvements to sorority and fraternity housing tax deductible.

Wells is going to Washington, D.C. in April to lobby along with the Fraternal Government Relations Coalition.

The introduced bills were tabled and will be voted on in as early as two weeks.

—compiled by Kelly Kaler

Published March 19, 2013 in FP test, News