StudCo passes nitrogen reduction plan

Student Council approved a nitrogen reduction plan Tuesday evening, following in the footsteps of the Faculty Senate, which passed a resolution in February to curb nitrogen emissions at the University.

The plan, sponsored by College representative Owais Naeem, a third-year College student, is designed to promote sustainability on Grounds and give students the opportunity to become more environmentally aware. Its goal is to reduce the University’s nitrogen footprint by 25 percent from 2009 levels by 2025.

The bill proposes implementing several active measures to reduce nitrogen output at the University, including composting, sourcing local foods, promoting sustainable farming practices and replacing beef with chicken in several dining hall meals.

The proposal also calls for educating the student body and broader University community to help raise awareness about the potentially damaging effects of nitrogen and promote sustainable practices.

Nitrogen, a common component of fertilizers, can damage aquatic ecosystems when it accumulates in run-off water, allowing excessive algea growth.

There are no cost estimates for this plan currently, and the proposal is pending Board approval.

—compiled by Sarah Pritchett