SPORTS

ACC names Jenkins Player of the Week

sp_mtennisjarmerejenkins_jtruong

Virginia senior captain Jarmere Jenkins was named the ACC Men’s Tennis Player of the Week Tuesday, after leading the No. 1 Cavaliers (19-0, 8-0 ACC) to a pair of conference victories last weekend against No. 24 Clemson and Georgia Tech. The award marks the second week this season that Jenkins has been honored as the conference’s top player, and the fifth time during his career at Virginia.

Jenkins, the top-ranked singles player nationally, defeated No. 24 senior Yannick Maden, 6-3, 7-6(6), Friday in the Cavaliers’ 7-0 sweep of the Tigers for the program’s 100th consecutive ACC victory. He and freshman Mac Styslinger, who comprise the nation’s No. 1 doubles pairing, also pulled out a 9-8(4) win against the No. 15 duo of Maden and his brother, junior Dominique Maden.

Saturday, Jenkins celebrated Senior Day with another stellar outing as Virginia took home a 6-1 victory against the Yellow Jackets. He and Styslinger rolled past the No. 26 doubles tandem of senior Juan Spir and sophomore Eduardo Segura, 8-2, for Jenkins’ 100th career doubles victory. Jenkins then proceeded to dispatch senior Juan Melian in straight 6-4 sets.

Jenkins became just the eighth Cavalier to record 100 wins in both singles and doubles competition Saturday. He boasts 16-2 and 10-2 season records in singles and doubles, respectively, and leads Virginia as the team vies for its seventh straight undefeated conference regular season. The team also hopes to secure its fourth perfect regular season since 2008 on the road this weekend against No. 30 Florida State and No. 55 Miami.

— compiled by Zack Bartee

Published April 16, 2013 in Sports