University suspends Kappa Alpha's FOA

Chapter must postpone fraternal activities until investigations conclude, IFC president says

The University suspended the Kappa Alpha Order’s Fraternal Organization Agreement, pending an investigation, Inter-Fraternity Council President Jake Pittman said in an email Thursday. The organization has not lost its charter, but must stop all fraternal activities during the suspension.

“Their FOA has been suspended while the University conducts an investigation into allegations,” Pittman said. “There is no time table in effect for how long this investigation/suspension will be put in place.”

The suspension follows a series of hazing allegations and an investigation into fraternity pledging activities by the University, which were announced in a press release April 4. IFC fraternities were told to initiate all new members by Saturday, April 6 at 6 p.m., or risk losing their FOA. The University later extended the deadline by one day to Sunday at 6 p.m.

University officials said other investigations were set to begin soon after the announcement was made, but claimed the mandate was not in response to allegations of criminal misconduct. Dean of Students Allen Groves said the request was made to “ensure student safety and [promote the] best practices governing the length of time for new member orientation,” according to the press release.

Pittman declined to disclose any further information at the time.