NEWS

University suspends Kappa Alpha's FOA

Chapter must postpone fraternal activities until investigations conclude, IFC president says

nskappaalphambronfin

The University suspended the Kappa Alpha Order’s Fraternal Organization Agreement, pending an investigation, Inter-Fraternity Council President Jake Pittman said in an email Thursday. The organization has not lost its charter, but must stop all fraternal activities during the suspension.

“Their FOA has been suspended while the University conducts an investigation into allegations,” Pittman said. “There is no time table in effect for how long this investigation/suspension will be put in place.”

The suspension follows a series of hazing allegations and an investigation into fraternity pledging activities by the University, which were announced in a press release April 4. IFC fraternities were told to initiate all new members by Saturday, April 6 at 6 p.m., or risk losing their FOA. The University later extended the deadline by one day to Sunday at 6 p.m.

University officials said other investigations were set to begin soon after the announcement was made, but claimed the mandate was not in response to allegations of criminal misconduct. Dean of Students Allen Groves said the request was made to “ensure student safety and [promote the] best practices governing the length of time for new member orientation,” according to the press release.

Pittman declined to disclose any further information at the time.

Published April 12, 2013 in FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...