NEWS

Casey Schulman's death prompts manslaughter charges

Hotel owner Andrew Armour charged after tragic boating accident claims University student's life

schulman_casey

Casey Schulman

More than five months after the death of fourth-year College student Casey Schulman, who was struck by a boat propellor while in the Caribbean on a Semester at Sea voyage, police in Dominica have made an arrest involving the incident, the Associated Press reported.

Hotel owner Andrew Armour, who was operating the boat in reverse when it struck Schulman, was brought before a judge in the lower courts Thursday on charges of manslaughter. He did not enter a plea at the time, according to the AP. He will see a judge again on May 14.

Armour conducts whale watching excursions in the Caribbean through the Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center out of the island’s capital, Roseau. TheDominican.Net reports that Armour was giving a tour at the time of the incident. According to the site, the arrest was made after lawyers representing Schulman’s parents sent a letter to Dominica’s police chief and the public prosecutor asking for Armour to be “brought to justice.”

Schulman’s Dec. 1 death shocked the University community last semester, prompting a long-standing tribute to Schulman on Beta Bridge and a 7 Society-sponsored banner campaign across Grounds projecting the words to John Donne’s poem “No Man is an Island”.

Published May 12, 2013 in FP test, News