NEWS

Casey Schulman's death prompts manslaughter charges

Hotel owner Andrew Armour charged after tragic boating accident claims University student's life

schulman_casey

Casey Schulman

More than five months after the death of fourth-year College student Casey Schulman, who was struck by a boat propellor while in the Caribbean on a Semester at Sea voyage, police in Dominica have made an arrest involving the incident, the Associated Press reported.

Hotel owner Andrew Armour, who was operating the boat in reverse when it struck Schulman, was brought before a judge in the lower courts Thursday on charges of manslaughter. He did not enter a plea at the time, according to the AP. He will see a judge again on May 14.

Armour conducts whale watching excursions in the Caribbean through the Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center out of the island’s capital, Roseau. TheDominican.Net reports that Armour was giving a tour at the time of the incident. According to the site, the arrest was made after lawyers representing Schulman’s parents sent a letter to Dominica’s police chief and the public prosecutor asking for Armour to be “brought to justice.”

Schulman’s Dec. 1 death shocked the University community last semester, prompting a long-standing tribute to Schulman on Beta Bridge and a 7 Society-sponsored banner campaign across Grounds projecting the words to John Donne’s poem “No Man is an Island”.

Published May 12, 2013 in FP test, News

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• NycCav said:

Honestly...I have refrained from commenting as the CD is for the students as far as I am concerned (as an alum), but please stop embarrassing yourselves. ...

• Pat said:

Letting outside reporters like TR Shapiro come in and do circles around the CD and its staff in its own backyard is one thing; being unable to even acknowledge ...

• Uva_reader said:

The students who produced this video need to familiarize themselves with the Honor Code, which calls for students who lie to be punished, not thanked. ...