Martel appointed University Chief Communications Officer

Current UConn director of media communications to join U.Va. August 26

University President Teresa Sullivan announced Wednesday the appointment of David W. Martel as the University’s new chief communications officer.

The appointment is effective August 26, when Martel will take the reins from Anthony P. de Bruyn, who has overseen University Communications on an interim basis since last October following the retirement of Associate Vice President for Public Affairs Carol Wood.

Martel said in a press release he is looking forward to promoting the University’s vision on both a state and global scale.
“The University of Virginia is an exceptional institution of higher learning with a rich history of tradition and academic excellence,” he said. “I look forward to the opportunity to assist in efforts extending the excellence of Mr. Jefferson’s University and communicating about U.Va.’s ongoing value to the commonwealth and beyond.”

Martel was selected from a pool of over 250 applicants for the position reviewed by a search advisory committee earlier this year.

As chief communications officer, Martel will report directly to President Sullivan and will “work with communication leadership across the University to align and strengthen the University’s overall and respective communication efforts,” according to the press release. Martel will also oversee the Office of University Communications.

Martel currently serves as the director of media communications at the University of Connecticut, and brings more than 20 years of experience in management, strategic communications and research to his current role, according to the UConn website. He also led the university communications portfolio at UConn from fall 2011 to January 2013, was interim associate vice president and chief information officer in 2009 and director of marketing communications from 2006 to 2008, according to the press release. Prior to his appointment to University Communications at UConn in 2000, he served as senior assistant director of the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, an internationally recognized, non-profit research facility.