Tobey earns U.S. U-19 World Championships nod

Sophomore center one of 12 selected to represent country; Bennett to serve as assistant

Virginia sophomore forward Mike Tobey emerged from a hyper-talented pool of prospective players to earn one of twelve spots on the United States U-19 men’s basketball team, which will head to Prague in the Czech Republic for the FIBA U-19 World Championships next week. Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett will serve as an assistant coach on the squad headed by Florida head coach Billy Donovan.

The 6’11” Tobey supplies size, rebounding, and zone-breaking perimeter shooting ability to a roster that includes 2013 National Freshman of the Year Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State and Duke’s Rasheed Sulaimon. The FIBA tournament will mark Tobey’s debut in international competition.

Rather than picking a hodgepodge of talented players, Donovan selected a group that conformed to his preferred style of play.

“There were some tough decisions, difficult decisions, but I think we feel overall that we have selected an athletic and versatile team. Our style of play will be an aggressive, up-tempo, running, pressing style,” Donovan said.

Tobey averaged 6.8 points and 2.9 rebounds as a freshman in helping Virginia reach the quarterfinals of the postseason NIT in 2012-13.

Other members of the roster include: Michael Frazier (Florida), Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty H.S.), Jerami Grant (Syracuse), Montrezl Harrell (Louisville), Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young H.S.), Elfrid Payton (Louisiana at Lafayette), Smart, Jarnell Stokes (Tennessee), Sulaimon, Nigel Williams-Goss (Findlay Prep) and Justise Winslow (St. Johns H.S.).

The U.S opens competiton against the Ivory Coast July 27.