Tobey earns U.S. U-19 World Championships nod

Sophomore center one of 12 selected to represent country; Bennett to serve as assistant

spmensbball_tobeydharding

Virginia sophomore forward Mike Tobey emerged from a hyper-talented pool of prospective players to earn one of twelve spots on the United States U-19 men’s basketball team, which will head to Prague in the Czech Republic for the FIBA U-19 World Championships next week. Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett will serve as an assistant coach on the squad headed by Florida head coach Billy Donovan.

The 6’11” Tobey supplies size, rebounding, and zone-breaking perimeter shooting ability to a roster that includes 2013 National Freshman of the Year Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State and Duke’s Rasheed Sulaimon. The FIBA tournament will mark Tobey’s debut in international competition.

Rather than picking a hodgepodge of talented players, Donovan selected a group that conformed to his preferred style of play.

“There were some tough decisions, difficult decisions, but I think we feel overall that we have selected an athletic and versatile team. Our style of play will be an aggressive, up-tempo, running, pressing style,” Donovan said.

Tobey averaged 6.8 points and 2.9 rebounds as a freshman in helping Virginia reach the quarterfinals of the postseason NIT in 2012-13.

Other members of the roster include: Michael Frazier (Florida), Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty H.S.), Jerami Grant (Syracuse), Montrezl Harrell (Louisville), Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young H.S.), Elfrid Payton (Louisiana at Lafayette), Smart, Jarnell Stokes (Tennessee), Sulaimon, Nigel Williams-Goss (Findlay Prep) and Justise Winslow (St. Johns H.S.).

The U.S opens competiton against the Ivory Coast July 27.

Published June 20, 2013 in FP test, Sports

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...