Tobey earns U.S. U-19 World Championships nod

Sophomore center one of 12 selected to represent country; Bennett to serve as assistant

spmensbball_tobeydharding

Virginia sophomore forward Mike Tobey emerged from a hyper-talented pool of prospective players to earn one of twelve spots on the United States U-19 men’s basketball team, which will head to Prague in the Czech Republic for the FIBA U-19 World Championships next week. Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett will serve as an assistant coach on the squad headed by Florida head coach Billy Donovan.

The 6’11” Tobey supplies size, rebounding, and zone-breaking perimeter shooting ability to a roster that includes 2013 National Freshman of the Year Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State and Duke’s Rasheed Sulaimon. The FIBA tournament will mark Tobey’s debut in international competition.

Rather than picking a hodgepodge of talented players, Donovan selected a group that conformed to his preferred style of play.

“There were some tough decisions, difficult decisions, but I think we feel overall that we have selected an athletic and versatile team. Our style of play will be an aggressive, up-tempo, running, pressing style,” Donovan said.

Tobey averaged 6.8 points and 2.9 rebounds as a freshman in helping Virginia reach the quarterfinals of the postseason NIT in 2012-13.

Other members of the roster include: Michael Frazier (Florida), Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty H.S.), Jerami Grant (Syracuse), Montrezl Harrell (Louisville), Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young H.S.), Elfrid Payton (Louisiana at Lafayette), Smart, Jarnell Stokes (Tennessee), Sulaimon, Nigel Williams-Goss (Findlay Prep) and Justise Winslow (St. Johns H.S.).

The U.S opens competiton against the Ivory Coast July 27.

Published June 20, 2013 in FP test, Sports

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• ari said:

disappointing equivocations throughout this piece. putting "rape," "sexual objectification," "sex crimes," and "sexism" in a two minute read does not ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Treading water

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons