Julie Yee resigns from Honor

Former College of Arts & Science representative will return to former role as Pre-trial coordinator

Effective yesterday, Julie Yee, secretary for the University Honor committee, announced her resignation from the position. Yee was one of five representatives elected from the College of Arts & Sciences.

In an email, Yee further explained, “I have greatly enjoyed the past three years of extensive involvement with Honor, but circumstances unrelated to Honor have recently arisen that render me ineligible to continue on in my role.” Yee contacted Christine Miller, President of College Council, last week with her decision. She will revert back to her former position as a Pre-trial coordinator.

“We discussed [her resignation] for a while,” Evan Behrle, chair of Honor’s Executive Committee, said. While Yee did not reveal the exact reason for stepping down from the position, “the important thing is that it’s unconnected with honor and just a logistical thing,” Behrle said.

As a Pre-trial coordinator, Yee will oversee the selection of witnesses and evaluation of evidence before upcoming Honor trials.

According to Behrle, the Honor Committee is not generally busy during the summer- losing one of 27 representatives is not calamitous. However, at least a temporary replacement is needed, a selection which will be left up to Miller and the rest of College Council. Miller said the Council would be looking into next steps over the next few days.

As stated in the Honor constitution, when resignation of this type occurs, the committee defers to the Council of whatever school the representative is from. Replacements can be made by temporary appointment and special election, temporary appointment and permanent appointment, or simply a selected permanent replacement.

Yee apologetically expressed her wishes for her successor to “catalyze the change I believe honor still needs, including decreasing disproportionate reporting and strengthening the partnership between Step Up UVa and Honor.”