Buckley shines, No. 4 Field Hockey rolls to road wins

Virginia beats No. 16 Wake Forest, Liberty as senior forward scores four times

The No. 4 Virginia field hockey team claimed two road wins during the weekend against No. 16 Wake Forest Friday and Liberty Sunday. Senior forward Elly Buckley scored four of the Cavaliers’ five goals in the two games.

Virginia (11-1, 1-1 ACC) opened the weekend with a 3-0 win against the Demon Deacons (7-3, 0-2 ACC) in its first ACC match since a 2-1 loss against No. 1 North Carolina. The Cavaliers got off to a hot start, scoring twice in the first five minutes of the game. Freshman midfielder Lucy Hyams found the back of the net first off an assist by senior back Chloe Pendlebury for the only non-Buckley goal of the weekend.

Two minutes later, Hyams found Buckley for Virginia’s second goal. Hyams’ assist tied her for the team lead, and she added to that total Sunday to take the team lead. The 2-0 scoreline held until the last 10 minutes of the second half, when Buckley scored once more, sealing a 3-0 victory. Junior goalie Jenny Johnstone tallied five saves in the shutout.

Virginia travelled to Lynchburg next for a Sunday afternoon matchup with the Flames (5-4, 0-0 NorPac). The game remained scoreless until the final 13 minutes, when Buckley scored her third goal of the weekend. With just more than five minutes remaining Liberty pulled its goalie, but the tactic did not work. The Cavaliers were granted a penalty corner on an open net and Buckley easily converted to extend the Virginia lead to 2-0.

Virginia recorded 14 shots in the game, including 11 by Buckley. Hyams and Pendlebury each tallied a second assist on the weekend during the penalty corner goal.

Virginia returns to Charlottesville for a midweek game against Radford Tuesday at 6 p.m.