Men's soccer stuns No. 2 Notre Dame 2-0

Madison's brace helps squad extend unbeaten streak to ten

Property of the Cavalier Daily,
Property of the Cavalier Daily,

The No. 23 Virginia men’s soccer team traveled to South Bend, Ind. Saturday afternoon for its most daunting test of the year: a road game against unbeaten No. 2 Notre Dame. The Cavaliers decisively passed the examination, swashbuckling their way to a 2-0 upset of the Fighting Irish in the first game between the teams as ACC rivals.

Virginia (7-3-4, 3-2-4 ACC) extended its undefeated streak to 10 games to continue its slow and steady turnaround from a 1-3 start to the season. Sophomore forward Darius Madison scored twice in a five-minute stretch spanning the first and second halves, and redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jeff Gal made two saves in the back-45 to seal the victory against the conference’s top-ranked team.

Virginia won a classic matchup of offense against defense. The Cavaliers, who entered the game 11th in the NCAA in goals per game, became the first team this year to tally more than one score against the Fighting Irish (8-1-5, 5-1-3 ACC), whose staunch defense ranked ninth in the country in goals allowed per game. Madison’s two goals pushed Virginia’s season total to 30 in 14 games, eclipsing last year’s figure of 29 scores in 21 contests.

The Cavaliers improved to 4-0 all-time against Notre Dame in the first game between the two on the Fighting Irish’s home field. Virginia used just one reserve in the game, and the defense held senior forward Harrison Shipp, Notre Dame’s leading scorer, to one shot in 90 minutes.

Virginia will play UNC Greensboro Tuesday in the first of three home games to conclude the regular season.