Freshman offensive tackle has noteworthy first start

Confident Smith experiences highs, lows of game day

<p>Freshman Offensive Tackle Eric Smith (42) made his first career start on Saturday against the Ball State Cardinals. </p>

Freshman Offensive Tackle Eric Smith (42) made his first career start on Saturday against the Ball State Cardinals.

In the past decade, Virginia football has cemented a tradition of producing dominant offensive tackles for the National Football League. With notable alumni such as D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Eugene Monroe, Branden Albert and Oday Aboushi, most freshmen offensive tackles temper their expectations for immediate playing time for the Cavaliers, making true freshman tackle Eric Smith’s start Saturday against Ball State all the more impressive.

“Eric did a nice job for his first start,” coach Mike London said. “I think there are only four U.Va. linemen in history to start [at offensive tackle] as a freshman.”

Even Smith was caught off guard when he received word that he would start against the Cardinals.

“They told me I was going to start the day after we played Pitt,” Smith said. “[Offensive line coach Scott] Wachenheim, we had an O-line meeting, and he said ‘Jay Whitmire, you’re going to be starting right guard.’ In my head, I’m kinda like ‘Okay, Sadiq [Olanrewaju] is going to right tackle.’ He said, ‘Eric Smith, you’re going to be starting right tackle.’”

While Smith, who is listed at 280 pounds but has since reached 295 pounds, was surprised by the announcement, but he was prepared for the opportunity.

“Coming to campus, the coaches were like, ‘Don’t prepare to redshirt’,” Smith said. “I mentally prepared for that every day.”

Smith, who was listed as a two-star recruit by college sports publication Rivals and is one of five offensive lineman in the 2013 Virginia recruiting class, has gained valuable experience during practice working against senior defensive end Jake Snyder and sophomore defensive end Eli Harold, both of whom are respected pass rushers and run stuffers in the ACC.

“Tuesday, Thursday, those are the contact days of practice, and I brought it to them,” Smith said. “They all come at me every practice, like, ‘You’re getting better, getting better. It’s going to be slow as a starter, a true freshman. Just stay humble, you’re going to be alright.’ Those are confidence builders, and I’ve been taking it and just getting better every day.”

Smith faced a formidable opponent in Ball State, as he was frequently matched up against senior defensive end Jonathan Newsome, an Ohio State transfer. Newsome, best known as an outside speed rusher, leads the Cardinals with three sacks on the season.

“All week, I stayed working on my speed and punching him in the chest before he hit me,” Smith said. “One time, I pancaked him. I think it was like the fourth quarter, maybe the third, I beat him, and I just kind of laid him out and got up. After the game he came up and said, ‘You’re a freshman.’ He just shook his head.”

But Smith’s debut as a starter was not spotless. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, sophomore quarterback David Watford threw an apparent 79-yard touchdown bomb to senior wide receiver Tim Smith. The play appeared to drastically shift the game’s momentum and put Virginia within a field goal of Ball State. To the dismay of the Cavalier faithful, however, Eric Smith was flagged as an ineligible receiver downfield, nullifying the touchdown.

“I knew it was me, I let my team know,” Smith said. “I think [senior left guard] Luke [Bowanko] came up to me and said, ‘It’s alright, we know. You’re going to be alright. It’s just one play. Let’s get them next time.’ They’re constantly motivating me; it’s a brotherhood.”