Neko Case's "Tizzy"

My experience Sunday night at the Paramount Theater was less of a concert than it was an exercise in spiritual arousal. The incomparable talents of Neko Case and Karen Elson served not only to entertain the hundreds of audience members that filled the historic theater, but also to teach these strangers how to feel emotions ranging from love to lust, misery to hate and shame to pride. Through eclectic music genres and remarkable personalities, these women redefined human sensitivity.

In a short redheaded bob, a long black dress, and a self-proclaimed “tizzy” (“Do you ever have one of those nights where you don’t know what you’re doing?”), Karen Elson appeared on stage and was greeted by scattered applause. There were few at first who knew what to make of this slender woman whose bulky guitar seemed much too large for her fragile frame. While singing, Elson’s quirky form turned graceful, as she became a living work of art.

She began her opening act performing “The Birds They Circle” from her 2010 album, “The Ghost Who Walks.” Following with similarly desperate melodies, Elson apologized for “only writing sad songs.” No one seemed to mind. The applause grew louder after each heart-wrenching ballad. “The Truth is in the Dirt” and “A Thief at My Door” were particular favorites and Elson’s appreciation was unmissable.

Elson’s British accent was barely perceptible in her unanticipatedly confident entrance. When asked where she’s from, Elson cleverly replied with a laugh, “God knows where I’m from!” She may prefer to keep her past a mystery, but it’s evident that she is destined for a very public future.

Undoubtedly, the same must be said about Neko Case. It is impossible to remain ignorant of the heart’s immeasurable emotional capacity after indulging in the music of this Virginia native. Such is the permanent power of her blatantly honest lyrics and hauntingly passionate vocals. Think edgy Norah Jones meets Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs. Case’s music is defined by its indefinable nature and that’s what makes it so magnificent.

Minutes before Neko Case herself appeared, a vibrant backdrop covered in eels, swords and other weaponry was lowered to the stage. It bared the name of Case’s newest album, “The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You” — certainly a mouthful, but worth every syllable. Later in her performance Case attested that her album was “more precious than a baby” because it took nearly six times as long to make. This comment produced more than a few chuckles from the crowd at her feet.

It would be unfair to mention Neko Case without acknowledging her band members. What makes this group so incredible is the chemistry between the lead singer and her musicians. As Case was battling a chest cold, backup singer Kelly Hogan stepped in to reach some of the higher notes such as those in “Lion’s Jaws.” Hogan also offered a playful commentary between songs mentioning that she lent her voice in this performance in order to repay Case for the girdles she bought her. “I got you,” Hogan assured her friend. The banter between the two women was half the fun.

Case’s ability to, in one moment, laugh at herself and promote the bacon at the Blue Moon Diner down the road, and, in the next, belt out a chorus so distressing that young college students in the audience involuntarily choke back tears, is astounding. Such diversity is clearly relevant in songs such as the humorous “Bracing for Sunday,” the desolate “I’m From Nowhere” and the slightly cynical “Man.” In each of her songs Case seems to adopt a new persona in order to portray with the greatest accuracy the most potent sentiments.

Her performance was quite literally a carousel of emotions that I’m glad to have ridden.