No. 1 Cavs dismantle Wolfpack 5-0

Team amasses four goals in opening 31 minutes to secure easy victory

The No. 1 Virginia women’s soccer team continued its winning ways Thursday when it steamrolled NC State 5-0. The Cavaliers are now 15-0 overall and 9-0 in the conference, and remain the nation’s sole unbeaten and untied team.

Virginia showed no signs of lingering fatigue from a tough match against Wake Forest Sunday, getting on the board just three minutes into the game when senior forward Gloria Douglas tallied her third goal of the season.

The Cavaliers would continue to pile on the Wolfpack (6-10, 1-9 ACC) in the first half, scoring three more goals. Sophomore forward Makenzy Doniak maintained her position as the team’s leading scorer with a strike in the 20th minute. Ten minutes later, sophomore forward Brittany Ratcliffe all but ensured Virginia a victory with two goals about a minute apart. This 4-0 lead marked the largest Cavalier halftime lead since a five-goal lead against Liberty in 2011. Star junior midfielder Morgan Brian assisted on three of the period’s four goals.

The Cavaliers buckled down on defense and allowed just four shots in the second half, despite utilizing several substitutes in the period, and earned their ninth shutout of the season. Virginia saw contributions from many new faces in the second half, including the debut of freshman goalkeeper Jessie Ferrari and a goal from junior forward Mary Morgan — the first of her career.

The final stat line was as lopsided as the score suggests, as NC State mustered just seven shots and put just four of them on target. In addition, the Wolfpack earned only one corner kick.

Virginia wraps up its tour of North Carolina Sunday against the fourth-ranked and defending National Champion Tar Heels.